The winds died and we were released. I ran without hesitation, without thought against the beast. He was standing, crouched over the woman he had claimed owned his heart, a woman he would give his life for. He didn’t face me and didn’t move. My staff hit him, and he flew back, landing on the floor. I met his gaze and saw that the fury had died, replaced by recognition, and then realization and horror. He howled a cry of such desperation, pain and sorrow it would have broken my heart if it wasn’t already broken. I felt only hatred. Rogue screamed something, I didn’t hear.
::Gambit don’t do it!:: Xavier’s voice was in my head and I felt him try to hold on to me, to paralyze me. I pushed him off my mind as I drove my staff into Wolverines chest. He didn’t fight me. Tears were running down his burnt flesh. I channeled energy, as much as my body held through the staff into his body. His metallic skeleton shone with the energy as it engulfed him.
“Let it go” He whispered, and I did that. The explosion knocked me backwards. The heat scorched me could have burned me if my wife hadn’t caught me and flown off. The house shook and then it went down with a nightmarish sound.

The silence afterward was only broken by the child’s crying. My wife cried, silent tears and held on to us as she flew down to the ground. I couldn’t cry. I could only stand there, looking at the collapsed building. The rain had stopped as the clouds had disappeared, leaving the sky clear and star clad. The others came. Xavier, Beast and Cecilia, Angel and Psylocke. Cyclops and Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Cable, Shadowcat and Colossus and many more. They worked to lift up the debris, looking for their bodies. I couldn’t watch as Ororo’s broken body was found. My charge had killed Wolverine, the heat was enough to vaporize the adamantium and pulverize his body. There was talking. Xavier couldn’t explain what had happened, why Logan had killed his wife. He hadn’t been able to reach any of them. He had linked his mind with mine, followed me in my mind as he assembled the others to Ororo’s home to lend aid that came too late. None could understand this devastation, they all felt numb it was surreal and they cried. I was dead. Beast and Cecilia wanted to raise the child. They couldn’t have their own, and no one argued. I knew Rogue loved the boy, but I couldn’t stand looking at him. He reminded to much about his parents and it pained me. Xavier offered to ease the pain from us, to erase some of the memories from the night. But we all declined. We swore however to not speak of this night, how they had died. Mostly for the child’s sake. There were many mutant’s living in Genosha, and they hadn’t been X-men. They weren’t family and it would only hurt the boy if he knew, if other’s new about his parents fate.

Time went slowly and painfully. Some let themselves heal, other did not. It took a long time for me to finally allow myself to live. It was the birth of my daughter that healed me. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. She captured my heart like none other. For the first time since Ororo died I felt love. I cried when I held her in my arms for the first time. My wife understood and let me cry all those tears I'd kept inside for almost two years. It wasn’t only tears of sadness for my friend, but tears of joy at this new life, this miracle in my arms and I love Rogue like never before for staying with me and loving me. We named her Belladonna Marie, to honor the three most important women in my life. My first wife, Ororo who’s name meant beauty, and Anna-Marie, my wife.
The life as a parent was the most frightening, yet rewarding experience I ever had. I thought I would go insane with all the worrying. Rogue berated me for spoiling my daughter, and true because when she grew older, she realized I was the one she could turn to and ask for outrageous things, ‘cause I didn’t have the heart to tell her no. I could have destroyed her completely, but she grew up a strong, confident and smart child. She was a handful and showed treats from both of us. From me, she had the knack of finding trouble, but seemed to charm her way out of punishment. From Rogue she had her temper, and yet her compassion and intelligence. When she befriended and later started dating James, I felt resentment. As a teenager, it was her mother she turned to for support and advice as we started to argue more and more. I didn’t want her to see the boy. I didn’t trust him, even if he was the child of my best friend, he looked to much like his father for me to trust him with my daughter. Rogue and I quarreled. Bella hated me when I forbid her to see him. But like any father of a teenage daughter I realized you couldn’t control them as you wished. I had to budge or I would lose her forever. I could never in my heart accept James. He had his mother skin tone, her height, but his father’s features, the dark hair and blue grey eyes. Even if he had his mother’s, or more likely his adoptive parent’s gentle ways, I could feel his true fathers spirit just beneath the surface. When we faced and I provoked him, anger showed in his eyes and he had a hard time to contain it.


The memories continued. I followed what seemed like my life, when Remy struggled to keep Belladonna from making the same mistake as his padnat had done, and his everyday life. He went on some missions, both for Xavier’s sake, but also on behalf of the thieves guild. Jean-Luc, his adoptive father was getting old and wanted Remy to step in as the new leader of the Guild. Remy refused. Belladonna was intrigued and despite her parent’s wishes she charmed her grandfather to teach her the trade. When her parent’s found out, they wowed to never let her go back to New Orleans. They broke that wow the next year. Rouge become pregnant again, and Remy had to watch how Belladonna’s relationship with James deepened. I shifted through the memories quicker, feeling it would soon come to an end. Halloween came and he spoke for the first time of the event that happened over eighteen years ago. Still feeling hatred for Logan. Then came the night, and his fears that James was truly the child of Wolverine were proven true. He was drawn to the commotion outside. Saw his daughter bleeding, bending over James who’s blood marked claws were released, and eighteen years of suppressed hate emerged. He was bent on killing the son of a murderer.

The darkness gave way to pain as I absorbed the last of Remy’s memories from the blood.





You must login () to review.