Title: Solitude
Author: Ladie
Chapter 10: Best of you
Rating: NC17
Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the marvel universe, and no money is being made from this story
Best of you : by Foo Fighters
A/N: We both know that someone getting “The best of you.” Can have two meanings, which is why I picked it for this chapter.


Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Has someone taken your faith?
Its real, the pain you feel
Your trust, you must
Confess
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Oh...



Glancing at the beauty next to him Logan swore softly under her breath. Living with her was a routine that was too damn easy to get used to. She was reading now, a book of poems by Emily Dickinson. A whimsical smile turned her full lips upward and the worn cover told him it was an old favorite. Over the past couple of days he found out she had many idiosyncrasies he found adorable. Like the way she bit her bottom lip when she was in deep thought, or the way she lifted an eyebrow and furrowed her forehead when she was confused.

He had knew they made a good team, but not quiet like this. He found himself wondering if they had always complemented each other so well. Could he truly have been so blind for so long? They’d taken numerous walks in the woods that surrounded the cabin, and the genuine delight she took in learning the lay of the land had truly warmed his heart.

~~~~~
“It is so peaceful here Logan, I can understand why you come here so often,” She said smiling at the lush lay of the land. Everything was green now, not yet covered by the snow that normally blanketed the ground.

“Yea, my own peace of paradise.”

“Thank you for sharing this with me.”

“No one else I would rather be here with,” he said smiling as he wrapped an arm around her waist, and they had stood in silence, watching the forest come to life.

A Mother had approached with her doe stopping only a few away, paying them no mind as they grazed. Turning to her with sparkling eyes he winked, realizing she was using her powers to keep their scent down wind.

“They’re beautiful.” She whispered smiling at their antics as the pair lopped away.

“Yea, they are, “ he said eyes never leaving her face.

She had blushed then making his blood boil. Not many women still blushed, and he found it to be a major turn on. She had innocence about her despite the harsh life they both lived. He wanted to protect her, make sure she was never harmed, she brought out the wolf in him, like no one else ever had. Many could arouse anger, some had been granted his loyalty, and there were many he called pack now at the mansion. But no one had made him once think of the word mate. That was mating, not to be confused with sex, or the fulfillment of need, either emotionally or physically. He had slept around over the years, took comfort in many a warm body, married for honor, and love.

Thinking of his attempts at marriage he shivered. Viper had been hell on earth with no emotional attachment, purely political, and callus; but Mariko had been for love. Their engagement had been for all the right reasons, mutual respect, love, honor, and similar beliefs, and values. He had given her his heart, and easing her into the life hereafter had ripped his heart beating from his chest. Still he had survived, with Storm’s support and care and now he could even say he had moved on. Her death had hurt him deeply, but not broken his spirit, and he had known in the back of his mind when he married her she would be “safe” that way.

He had thought long and hard about the fact that it was almost certain that he would outlive his delicate bride. That he would be there to see her youth fade, steps slow, and finally her exit from this world. To say he had known the feeling of needing to be with someone to be able to breath, wanting to be with them because no matter what you couldn’t see yourself without them would be a bold faced lie. Now looking at this women who was Mother Nature reborn, possessed the kindest soul he’d ever seen, valued all life, and felt the call of the wild as he did, he was frightened, and strangely accepting. He had been searching for love, understanding, and total acceptance for a lifetime. If he had a chance at it now, there was no way he’d give it up without a fight.


“What is it Logan?” She asked turning to face the man who’d been starring at her instead of the television for the past hour. His piercing eyes focused on her.

“Nothing, just admiring the view,” he said smiling as she rolled her eyes.

“You know it makes me uncomfortable when you do that,” She said shoving him playfully.

She wasn’t used to being comfortable when she was stared at. It had been her goal in life to blend in, because she was a mutant, and hell because she was a black woman with blue eyes and white hair. She had been searching for someone to see her for who she was for so long. Not a goddess, not something exotic to show off to just a women who loved nature, sang in the shower, and happened to be able to control the weather. Meeting Logan’s gaze she felt the blood rush to her face. He had always seen the women underneath the mask.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Us,” She answered honestly. There had never been a need for secrets between them.

“ What about us?”

“Just that you have known me so well for such a long time.”

”It’s pretty damn hard not to,” He said caressing her with his eyes.

“We’ve been through a lot over the years Ro, you know me better than anyone else, sometimes better than I know myself.”

“ I know that you sing in the shower, have a weakness for chocolate ice cream, and learned to belly dance in Cairo.”

“And I know that your name is James Howlett, you were born in Alberta, Canada, and you cry every time you watch White Fang.” She said smiling as he growled playfully.

“I’m telling you its allergies,” He mumbled ignoring her chuckle as he neatly tucked her against his side.

“An allergy to the movie maybe,” she murmured giggling as he tickled her side.

Who knew this man could be so loving? Loyal, protective, and caring were all words she would have called him but seeing him like he was now was something new.
She had always known there was another side to Logan, but she had never expected to see it first hand, or to be on the receiving end. He was so gentle now, and carefree, easy with a laugh, and quick to smile. So unlike the man she had grown to know over the years. She had shared his bed since that night but they had yet to make love, and she knew they would not until they were sure that it was love they did feel for one another.

The realization that this was probably “IT” for both of them had come quickly. Maybe deep down they had always known this truth, that they were perfect for one another, and now for the first time they had their shit together enough to pursue. Slipping her arm though his she laid her head on his shoulder basking in his warmth as she too turned her attention to the television, her book on the arm of the couch forgotten for now.


~~~

I’ve got another confession to make
I’m your fool
Everyone’s got their chains to break
Holdin’ you

Were you born to resist or be abused?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?


Waking from another night of tossing and turning Remy finally came to a decision. He had no ideal what was going to happen with his Stormy, but he knew what needed to happen with Rogue. Wiping the sleep from his eyes he stumbled to the shower running through the lines he could use to let her down easy. Shaking his head he sighed, she had always seen through his bullshit before so he might as well just give it to her straight. He was tired. Tired of arguing, tired of dealing with her mood swings, tired of watching her drift further and further away every day as she changed in to a virtual stranger. “They” hadn’t worked for a long time, so this shouldn’t really be a shock.

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Has someone taken your faith?
Its real, the pain you feel
Your trust, you must
Confess
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?


As he dressed in his normal attire, a pair of snug jeans, a black t-shirt, gloves, and his duster, he felt more like a soldier preparing for battle. She would cry, and though he couldn’t bare her tears he would have to stick by his resolve. He found her out by the gardens, sitting on the tire swing they had put up years ago for the students.

“ Ah All ready know what ya wan Sugah,” She said, meeting his red on black eyes with green emeralds full of pain.

“We gave it a good run right?” She asked biting her lips to keep from sobbing, and begging him to stay.

“Dat we did Petite, Remy non wan hurt you, but dis been over a long time ago Cherie,” he said surprised she was taking things so well.

“ I know Ah… Ah just kept hoping things would change, and go back to the way they used to be.”

“Don now if dat possible any more, a lot has happened, tings we can’t take back,” he said thinking of how close he had come to dying in Antarctica, and just how much some part of him still resented her for it.

Nodding her head in agreement she remained silently, knowing exactly what he was referring to. This would just be a break; they needed some time apart for now. She understood, they would get back together eventually they always got back together. It was the one thought that kept her sane right now as she struggled to hold it all together.

“Bye Petit,” He whispered giving her one last kiss, barley a brush of his lips on hers, so short it slipped by her powers.

“By Remy,” She whispered watching him walk away , until he disappeared back in to the mansion.

“Just a little time apart is all,” She told herself, knowing that something about this time was different from all the others.


Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Has someone taken your faith?
Its real, the pain you feel
You trust, you must
Confess
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Oh...





You must login () to review.