Title: Solitude
Chapter 4:A state of Unrest
Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the marvel universe, and no money is being made from this story.
Here with me: Dido

They stopped in a hotel room that night just after they entered the Canadian border. Logan was still as spry as ever, but Ororo did not possess his healing factor and sleeping sitting up was never comfortable. Locking the car while he let her sleep Logan stepped in the front office making sure he could see the vehicle while inside. Some would call him paranoid, but after seeing some of the things he’d seen as an X-man he called it being cautious. Besides he knew how to handle precious cargo.

“Looks like your wife has all ready turned in for the night,” the night clerk said grinning as he passed Logan the key.
Grunting in agreement he nodded smiling.
If she was his wife she sure as hell wouldn’t be in the predicament she was in now. As strong of a woman as she was Storm flat out needed a keeper, some one to watch over her, and protect the emotions that made her so vulnerable. Shaking his head at his musings, he headed back to the car.

“Come on Darlin, I got us a room,” He said smiling down as her eyes slowly fluttered open.
“Hmm?”
“Up you go,” He said easily lifting her in his arms.
~~~~
Thirty minutes later the only sound in the room was the vibrating of Ororo’s telephone. Glowing red as it received a message.

Swearing softly Remy tossed the phone on to the bed. She hadn’t answered any of his phone calls in the last couple of hours so he opted to leave her a message. It was three o’clock in the morning and he had no ideal where she had gone, when she would be coming home, or why she’d left. Running his hands through his disheveled hair letting out a frustrated breath. Not knowing what was going on with Stormy made him sick to his stomach. Knowing that she had turned to Wolverine instead of him, didn’t sit well with him either. Had he been so caught up in his own life that he couldn’t tell his Stormy was having a wrong time?

Laying in the bed she had last left him in he inhaled her fading scent as he buried his face in her pillow.
I didn’t hear you leave
I wonder how am I Still here
And I don’t want move a thing
It might change my memory
Standing up he walked through the room that had been left as is. Running his hand along the dresser that still held the silver comb, and brush he had given her years ago. There were so many things that held memories here. Pausing when he reached the small triangle that held a diamond, the universal signal for a baby girl.
And I won’t go
I won’t sleep
I won’t breath
Until you’re resting here

And I won’t leave
And I can’t hide
I cannot breath
Until you’re resting here with me

It was time that they sat down and had a serious talk. They had been pushing things to the back burner for far too long. Knowing he would be in a state of unrest until she returned he lay back on the bed. Flipping through the photo book he’d found on the dresser.

~~~~
Tossing in his sleep Logan moaned as he slipped deeper in to sleep. He was having those memory flashes again.

“Rose!” He called chasing after the red haired girl who was always presents some where in his mind.
“James!” She called back laughing as they raced across the grounds, her green eyes sparkling with mirth.
She was his confidant, and best friend the playmate he had grown up with. She was his only friend really, with him being sick so much growing up, being around other children didn’t happen often.


Waking in a cold sweat Logan to a minute to organize his thoughts, and remember just where he was. A small hotel on the border of Canada, with Storm. Piecing everything together he calmed turning to face Ororo who was quietly calling his name.

“I’m okay Ro,” he said still breathing hard.
“Another nightmare?”
“ No, this I think was the truth,” he said trembling at the knowledge hovering on the edge of his brain. ‘
Maybe he had finally healed enough with the X-men to be able to face the truth about things. God, no wonder he’d always had a hard on for Jean Grey, and hated Scott. Disgusted with himself, he shook his head, feeling like he’d been tricked some how. He didn’t want Jean he wanted his Rose, and she was never coming back. Hell she never even wanted him the same way he did her. Shaking his head he forced himself to relax, trying not to remember what had happened in the house on the hill. It would come in time, and when it did he had a feeling it wouldn’t be pretty.

“I’m remembering Ro, not sure why now after all this time, but … these are my memories, I can see myself as a child, me and my Rose,” he said sighing as he sat up, knowing sleep would be a long time coming now.

“Rose?” Ororo asked coming to sit beside him.

“She was my… companion, I was sick as a kid Ro, real sick, and then… something happened, but I can’t seem to remember.”

“ I can see house on the hill, and see the town, Alberta.” Shaking his head at the rest of the memories that wouldn’t come he growled.

“Perhaps a side trip is in order old friend,” Ororo said smiling as he nodded.
He could never truly move on with his life until he put his past to rest.
Sensing his tension she began to hmm a lullaby she remembered from childhood. The only thing left of her parents now. Creating a cool breeze that caressed his skin and made him smile. He’d learned in his life that everything happened for a reason, maybe going on this trip with Ro was meant to happen.

“We’ll leave for Alberta tomorrow Ro,” He said squeezing her intertwined hand gently for support.





You must login () to review.