Main Characters: Logan, Ororo Monroe, Charles Xavier, Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Remy Lebeau, Marie Darkholme, Victor Creed, Raven, Erik Lehnsherr, Jubilee Lee, Kathrine (Kitty) Pride, Robert (Bobby) Drake, James Arthur Mardox, Lucas Bishop, Tessa Sage and other X-Men characters

1. Security Alert

Time (around 2300 hours)

‘Wheeooon….Wheeeoon’ the night was filled with the sounds of fire engines racing towards the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters, one of New York’s premier boarding schools.

An hour later the flames had been put out. The teachers had sent the students to their rooms and were standing outside while a couple of them were talking with the police detectives present at the scene.

“So you have idea about who set the fire”, spoke Detective Bishop.
The man he was talking to was Scott Summers, a teacher at the school. “No detective. Although I am shocked that neither the sprinklers nor the fire alarm worked.”
“Well sir, it seems that both had been turned off. Do you suspect anyone?”
“No. This is the first time that such an incident has occurred on the school premises and we would like this case solved. The negative publicity won’t be good for the school.”

Detective Bishop looked at the man in front of him and thought, ‘He is a teacher but talks like a marketing guy.’
“I understand your situation sir. We will try our best to find the perpetrator. I would like to get a list of all the employees at the school, especially those who have access to the security and alarm controls.”

“I’ll get it for you.”
“It’ll be great if you can send it to my office tomorrow morning.”
“Well detective, if there is nothing else, I’ll like to call it a night. I have classes in the morning.”
“No. I have got all the information I needed. Have good night. I’ll contact you if there are anymore questions.”
“Goodnight Detective.”

With that the Bishop got into his squad car and drove off. Scott Summers went up the school stairs, locked the door, set the alarm and went upstairs to bed.


Next Morning (0700 Hours)

The teachers had gathered in the office of the school’s founder director, Professor Charles Xavier. Charles Xavier was a well known and respected man. He had been a child prodigy, who in his youth had worked in various fields – history, archeology, medicine and music to name a few. However after losing the use of his legs in a car accident he had to use a wheelchair to move about.

After all the teachers had been seated, Xavier spoke “I have asked you all here to discuss the recent problems we have faced. Earlier they were minor thefts but yesterday night’s fire incident has let me believe that we need to take some measures to avoid any such occurrence in the future.”
“Professor, do you think they are connected?” asked Jean Grey-Summers.
“Yes Jean, I think that a single person or group pf people are behind this act and their aim is to cause damage to the school and its reputation.”

Everyone was silent and thinking about what Charles had just said.
“So what do you suggest we do? Should we hire security guards or something more extensive?”
“I have thought about the matter Scott and have already made arrangements for it.”
“What arrangements?”
“I have hired a security expert. He will be upgrading our school security system including all the locks, sensors, alarms and vehicles. Apart from that he will be giving recommendations regarding hiring other security personnel.”
“That’s great professor, when will the work start and how long will the new system take to install and start operations?”
“Well, the initial contract is for one year and if need be it can be extended.”
“One year?”
“Yes. He works as a free lance operator and is not connected to any security firm. How ever his contract does say that he can take a break under extenuating circumstances.”
“Extenuating circumstance….What sort of circumstances.”
“I’d rather not talk about it” said Xavier.

“Are there any more questions?”
“Yes Professor, when will he be starting?” asked Scott.
“He will be here next Monday and will start work then.”
“What is his name?” asked the tall African American woman sitting directly in front of Xavier.
“His real name is James Howlett, but he is better known as Logan.”

That night in the Summers double room suite Scott Summers noticed his wife’s uneasy and restless behavior. She was pacing the room, her head bowed down, deep in thought.
“What is the matter Jean, you look worried.”

When he didn’t get any answer he asked again “JEAN…”
“Huh…what happened?”
“You look troubled. What seems to be the problem?”
“No problem Scott, just thinking.”
“Bull. You have been this way since morning. Tell me about it. And don’t give me any crap about introspection, I know you better than that.” With that he pulled his wife into his lap.
“You are correct Scott.”
“Of course I am. Didn’t I tell you, we are practically psychically connected? You can read my mind as well as I can read your expressions and mannerisms.”

Jean kissed her husband and started telling him about the cause of her worries.





You must login () to review.